Sunday, November 6, 2011

Assignment #9

http://changethis.com/manifesto/show/45.02.FreakFactor



This article by David Rendall is about his search for self improvement through looking at ones strengths and weaknesses and not associating good or bad to them but rather seeing how a weakness can be beneficial. He has three different options for self-improvement: Fix weaknesses, Build on strengths, and do both.

3. Flawless: There’s Nothing Wrong With You
            I feel that this suggestion to overcome a weakness is a good approach and is valid. In this section he says how sometimes we need to see our weaknesses as strengths and not as something debilitating. So many of us see something like disorganization as a bad habit and something that is not good but he talks about how this negative connotation to disorganization is not true. He makes the reference that Albert Einstein was a messy person and contrasts the negatives of messiness with the positive of creativeness. I feel that this is a good way for me to look at myself. I personally am a very messy person but I do feel like when I am in a creative state I like to have things around me be messier. This is a way for me to put all my ideas out in front of me and have a more cohesive environment.
4. Forget It: Don’t Try to Fix your Weakness.
            For this suggestion I feel that it is not necessarily the best way to search for self improvement. I feel that in trying to overcome or fix a weakness you can learn more about yourself and find out truths within yourself. He even uses a quote by George Eliot, “It’s never too late to be who you might have been.” I feel that can happen in trying to fix a weakness. Also for some I feel that sometimes a weakness can be impeding on your search for improving your self. If you do not address it and try to make a fix then you are not seeing everything from all angles. He only has four things that he argues as reasons to not fix a weakness and I don’t feel that any of them are reason enough to not try and fix a problem.
5. Foundation: Build on Your Strengths.
            This suggestion is very important and a valid way to exercise self-improvement. I feel that he makes a very good point throughout his manifesto that realizing your strengths and trying to view your weaknesses as strengths is important not only to success but to improving ourselves. I think that it is important to realize what you are good at and build on them. He states that you have the greatest potential in your areas of strength. I feel that this is completely valid. In my life I feel that the gravity I feel towards playing music is because I am somewhat good at it. It is a strength to be able to play things, something that not everyone can do. I implement this in my life by trying to play all different types of instruments and keeping up with playing piano and cello.

            Some of the weaknesses I have come across as far as the creative process is concerned is working in a group. It is not that I don’t work well with others but when an idea is present in my mind I have a set vision and want to fulfill that vision. I realize that others have the same feelings but with different visions and I think that is an area on which I could improve. Being able to collaborate to make something better than what I can think of. I feel that this class has helped me with this. I collaborate with my group members and we collaborate our strengths and create things outside of our own personal capabilities. Some of my strengths in the creative process is always having a steady flow of ideas. My gears are always turning, ideas are normally too abundant to even shuffle though in my own head. I am always thinking of little things to turn into skits or a song or a poem. I feel that this is a strength but could also turn into a weakness if I do not focus my ideas and actually take chances with some of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment