Sunday, November 6, 2011

Assignment #8


http://changethis.com/manifesto/show/66.01.Brainwashed


In the Article Brainwashed: Seven Ways to Reinvent yourself, Seth Gordin talks about the seven pillars to reinventing yourself.
            He talks about Acknowledging the Lizard. This is talking about our primal brain that drives us to conform. He says that we do not like to be laughed at and we do not like our work to be laughed at. This he says is something we need to acknowledge so that we can ignore it.
            He also talks about the need to connect. He says that it is easier to connect to people in todays society. With this there is also a lot of room to get lost in using these resources in a productive manor. This I feel is exactly what is happening with Facebook. I feel that the potential use for Facebook has been lost.
            Gordin also talks about the need to fail I feel that this is a very important pillar. In todays society the amount of crap media available is astronomical. I feel that this can sometimes scare people into taking chances for fear of being lost in the jumble of garbage. He talks about how you need to not be afraid to fail especially in public to get anywhere.

I feel that these blog assignments are a waste of time and pretty much worthless to the class. For one everyone I talk to says that they wait until the last night to do them. This just makes it busy work. I mean for example I am writing this the last night, it doesn’t mean that I don’t do the reading and the work just that it turns it into busy work and something that I see as just another assignment to complete. I do on one had enjoy the readings like the finding your howl, this reading and reading for blog 9.
            I think that a good alternative to these would be to have us make a blog and then post our creative assignments on them. This in a way is like creating a mini portfolio and may encourage students to put more time into each of our weekly assignments. I feel that this would give us more time to work on the weekly assignments and also give them more value. I think if you feel that you have to keep the blogs as a way to add points to the grading scale then have them due weekly so that it does not turn into mini project that just seems like busy work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment